Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ok, here goes...

I've never been much of a writer. I realize that the internet and blogging and email is a great way to stay in touch with people I might not otherwise hear from/about for years. I am starting this blog mainly to update family and friends about the ongoings of my life. It may be boring to some...and that is fine. But I do think it's a good idea to have this medium to let the ones that are interested in on my life.

I'll start with the basics for those that I have not been in contact with for a while. I met Brent through friends in 2001. We became good friends and eventually started dating in 2002. He moved to Austin, TX after graduating from Oklahoma State University with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. He got a job at Dell, which is headquartered in Austin. We were long distance for the first year of our relationship. We would take turns driving back and forth between Austin and Oklahoma City every other weekend or so. The 6 hour drive got old really quickly. So, we decided I should move to Austin so we could be together all the time. I moved to Austin in 2003 and Brent and I got married on May 12, 2005. Here is my favorite picture from our wedding reception.


We bought a house and have enjoyed doing minor updates here and there. I have painted and repainted the majority of the rooms in the house. I enjoy decorating and am always wanting to change something. The house is only 12 years old, so there are not any structural changes that need to be done. So we do mostly cosmetic updates. We have changed out light fixtures, ceiling fans, sink faucets, etc. Our next project is going to be flooring. We have Pergo flooring in the kitchen and dining room and we love it. We would like to extend it into the living room and office, and eventually the whole house. I will post pictures of the inside of the house in a future blog. Here is one of the outside.


I am in my senior year of nursing school at the University of Texas, but I'll always be a Sooner at heart. I feel that I am betraying my heritage by going to UT, but I really didn't have much choice, living in Austin and all. UT's nursing school is ranked in the top 10 in the nation, so I guess that makes me feel a little better about it. But I absolutely despise seeing so much of the color burnt orange all around me (and ON me when I have to wear burnt orange scrubs to clinicals!). So, I graduate this May! I am so excited!!! I have been in school for almost 8 years now, to attain a 4 year bachelor's degree. I started out part-time as a business major and worked full-time to support myself. I changed my major to nursing and was finally able to go to school full-time after getting married. But all that matters is that I'm finally achieving my goal. Here is a picture of my first clinical group in nursing school (seems like so long ago!).


I work part time in the operating room at a hospital here in Austin. I love surgery! I have always thought that I would want to eventually work there as an RN. I just didn't think it would be possible to do so right out of school. I did an internship there last summer and started working there as a surgical attendant immediately after my internship. No, I don't hand the surgeon the scalpel and other tools...I get to do the dirty work. I clean the rooms after the surgeries, I transport patients to and from their rooms, I transport various specimens (AKA blood and body parts!) to the lab, and cleaning and more cleaning. It's not a glamorous job, but it's getting me to where I want to be! I actually enjoy it a lot. I have great co-workers and supervisors. I have spoken with the director of surgery, and she told me they WILL have a job for me there when I graduate! YAY!!! That is such a relief. Most of my friends are stressing out about applying for jobs and some don't even know what type of nursing they want to do.

I am currently on my winter break from school. I go back to school on January 14th. It will be my last semester! I do hope to go back for my Master's degree someday, but Brent and I would also like to start a family soon, so that will come first. Hopefully in the next year or 2. I have enjoyed this break. I have not worked at all. I have truly given myself a break, which I needed very badly! We were able to go home to Oklahoma for Christmas for about a week, which was very nice. I have posted and sold some things on eBay and Craigslist to make some money since I haven't been working. I have also picked back up on beading necklaces and bracelets. I gave some away as Christmas presents, and everyone loved them! People keep telling me I need to sell my jewelry. I am seriously contemplating it. I just don't know how much time I will be able to commit to it. I'll just have to play it by ear. I will post updates about that...if it ever happens.

This is getting very long. I will save the rest for future posts. I hope this is something I will keep up with. I have enjoyed it so far. It's just going to be a matter of having TIME!!! Something I am seriously lacking when in school. So, that is all for now.

1 comments:

Lori said...

That's great that you're blogging now. I look forward to hearing more from you. One thing about blogging I've learned: you never know who's reading. Lots of people, mostly those you know, will read your blog but never leave a comment - so keep it up even if you don't think anyone is reading. I found out a while back that my bishop reads my blog...crazy.